Keep fit during COVID-19
The last few months have been difficult for Northern Colorado communities as we confront and battle the impacts of COVID-19. Many have been faced with increased stress and ongoing changes in the daily routine which can negatively affect our health. Thankfully, there are many ways we can improve our mental, physical, and emotional resilience during these challenging times.
Exercise is a great way to boost the health of our heart, muscles, bones, nerves, and immune system. Not only does exercise improve our physical well-being, it is a great tool for stress and pain management. Health guidelines recommend 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise, and 2-3 days of resistance exercise each week.
Local running coach and owner of FusionFIT, a group fitness and personal training studio in Windsor, Mandy Mullen, has a few great suggestions to help us improve our health and resilience through exercise. Mandy is a skilled fitness instructor and running coach in the Windsor community, who is passionate about community health and wellness. Here’s her take on what you can do now to stay healthy:
Getting into a fitness routine can be daunting, and even more so when we are facing a global crisis that has turned our families, schedules, jobs, etc. upside down. One thing we all need to remember is that exercise and a healthy diet are the best ways to strengthen our bodies and immune systems, not just now, but always! I recommend taking twenty minutes per day to get started. Here are my tips for cardio and strength exercise training:
Walk or run; you have to start somewhere!
- Go out 3-4 times per week for a 20 minute walk, walk/run, or run!
- If you’re new to running, alternate walking for 2 minutes with running for 1 minute
- Your running should be slow enough to allow for a conversation. Running too fast too soon can be mentally defeating and lead to common injuries
- Each week, you can gradually increase your running intervals and decrease your walking intervals
- With 3-5 weeks of interval training, you will be able to comfortably run with no walk breaks
- Involve your family and/or friends! Have the kids join along on their bikes, bring your pet or invite a neighbor to get started with you. Make it fun!
Strength doesn’t have to be done at the gym.
I know for my members, they love the energy and instruction they get in our group fitness studio, but that doesn’t mean you can’t build strength and stay fit while at home! Here are a few things to get you going:
- EHOH- Every Hour On The Hour- Set your alarm and at the top of every hour choose a handful of the following exercises. You can make this fun by printing a daily calendar to track your exercises!
Recommended Strength Exercises:
- 10 Burpees
- 15 Push Ups
- 20 Air Squats (standard squat using just your bodyweight or a cat/dog/kid/heavy object
- 40 Jumping Jacks
- 20 Reverse Lunges with a “pulse” in between
- 30 Second Plank
- Add in any of your favorite exercises!
- Connect with fitness instructors online! FusionFIT offers 10 Live Streamed and pre-recorded workouts per week so you can workout with us from the comfort of your home! Taking up a virtual fitness routine will ensure you get the wide variety of cardio and strength you need.